Monday, March 13, 2017

Review: The Wide Window

The Wide Window The Wide Window by Lemony Snicket
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Now that's what I'm talking about! This book was just as good as the Bad Beginning. It had the action and the quirky writing and the funny side notes.

And what I like best is that the guardians keep changing in personalities. It's not all cartoon villains, not all of them harm through sheer meanness like Olaf; it was refreshing to see a character who did as much damage out of fear and self-centeredness as others do out of sadism.

And it was also nice to see the Baudelaires can step out of their rigid roles and do other things aside from inventing, reading and biting. It makes them seem more resourceful and clever and less naive than they've been in the other books.

But I must say I'm taking a break from the books. They are so easy to read and follow that I know I could plow through them all in a couple of months. I'm a bit concerned that the quirks and formulas might turn out to be too much after all.

View all my reviews

No comments: