Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Review: The Golden Compass

The Golden Compass The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was in high school when I first read this book and remember it much more clearly than the Subtle Knife, which I am also rereading. I never finished the trilogy and I thought it was a good chance to do so.

I remember loving it and being riveted by it and thinking it excellent fantasy. Looking at it from an adult perspective all of that remains true, but I think I can be a bit more critical of its flaws.

In this first book Pullman still depends a lot on the infodump. Instead of finding out about Lyra's parents organically throughout the story, we just get a huge infodump from the Gyptians (another problematic element I only picked up on in this second reading). I don't think my young self had the presence of mind to notice this back in the day, all I remember is being very excited, so they don't really slow the narrative down a whole lot.

I don't think I will ever not love the concept of the armored bears or the daemons. I am still very much in love with Lord Asriel, while being abhorred by his actions in the book. This second time, just as the first one, I couldn't put the book down.

And I remain firmly in love with Lyra as a fantasy protagonist; she is proactive in ways girls in traditional fantay often aren't while still being very believable. I am tired of the performative feminism some fantasy female leads exhibit, where they have to be perfect and fighters and edgy and in many ways become the worst wish-fullfilment MASCULINE ideal in order to be considered A Strong Female Character. I loved Lyra because sometimes you forget she is only a little girl, very alone in the world, she seems so confident and daring... and then reality will come crashing down and grownups can overpower her easily. She is never any less amazing or admirable because she is vulnerable. She lies and she is good at lying. She is bold and sometimes that saves her and sometimes that condemns her.

In short, she is an indiviual and not an ideal and I believe her triumphs because they are achieved in a way only Lyra could. I've already started with the Subtle Knife and I can see how different Will is, how he too is an indivual and how they complement each other. I'm looking forward to finally finishing this trilogy!

View all my reviews

No comments: